History of the school
First of all, let's go back to St-Gabriel congregation birth. St Louis Marie de Monfort founded the « Daughter of Wisdom » congregation in 1715, for deaf and blind people. In 1841, St-Gabriel congregation was founded by Gabriel Deshayes.
After the 2nd World War, the congregation was established in many countries : Brazil, Congo, Sri Lanka, Senegal, France, Malaysia, Columbia, Peru, Cameroon, Rwanda, Papua-New-Guinea. St-Augustin primary school was founded for boys in 1909 by Abbot Fruchaud, at 32bis Saumuroise Street in Angers.
In 1953, the primary school needed space so it was transferred to another address : 3 Colombier Street. The first brother who became headmaster in 1955 was Brother Jaffry. The same year, the first secondary school class was open (year 7). And the year 6 class appeared one year later. The other classes were created in 1968 and since 1978 girls have access to the school.
Under the headmaster Roger Drapeau's supervision, the school opened its first section dedicated to troubled youth "SEGPA" (some of the first ones in France - see page "Special Education Need" ).
In 1997, St-Gabriel brothers left the school and laics headmasters took the school in charge.
In 2004, the European section is created.
Today, the school count 750 pupils. The headmaster is M. Martineau.